Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A good, good public holiday

In our guild/province we celebrate National Quilt Day this coming Saturday but I was aware that this day in the USA was celebrated last Saturday.  So what's a girl to do?  Celebrate them both!!

Furthermore when I found out that The Quilt Show offers more than 100 episodes of their shows over 9 series to watch for FREE but only over the weekend from 16 to 18 March; my weekend was made.

My setup changed temporarily as I needed to watch ATP World Tour tennis, a little cricket highlights and obviously as many of the videos on The Quilt Show as I could.  So I needed the TV, laptop and my sewing machines...... this is what my space looked like.

I heard about quilters I never knew existed, some (Rob Appell) about as pleasing to the eye as his quilts and amazing women such as Lola Jenkins who surely turned my way of thinking when seeing novelty prints or panels.  I learnt about switching the right side of your brain on to turn creative, that perfect isn't always the norm, making butterfly seams instead of Y-seams............ too much to mention.

As if that wasn't enough I quickly jumped out at the Post Office on our way to dinner with the big kids to pick up a tutorial video - all the way from Paducah, Kentucky - and I watched this too.  So much information, such a little brain.

However my hands were never idle and I am proud to say that I have finished 650 projects for our goodie bags for the National Quilt Festival in 2013.  I am SO going to celebrate and tonight at dinner with Karin, I might actually kiss her and goodie bags goodbye.  These are my last projects done.

However..... the information overload did not stop.  I ordered Superior titanium coated top-stitch needles and Superior Bottom line thread from Amafu and one e-mail between Glenda and myself lead to another with her feeding me names, sites and things to see that I still don't know whether I am coming or going.  Did I mention my small brain?

So on this public holiday in South Africa I too will be taking time out.  Not touching my machines, not paging through any books, not watching any DVD's, not planning another quilt and when Karin asked what I would be doing all day, I answered "play with the tortoises" - enough excitement for me!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you have made a lot of progress. I haven't sewn a stitch in almost five days. Chris

    ReplyDelete