Sunday, June 12, 2011

Critter Caboodle

I must have started on this quilt easily 2 years ago.  It is from a pattern book with the same name by Linda Hohag and apart from instructions to make the quilt, Linda also has patterns using the same Critter appliqué to make a wall hanging or table runner.

I however decided to make the full quilt for any future grandchildren I might have.
Just as I finished glue basting all the appliqué shapes to the backgrounds fellow quilter, Frances van Schalkwyk, visited me just before she had to undergo an operation and wanted to know if I didn’t have any hand work for her to do while recuperating.  So these little critter blocks all went with Frances and she hand appliquéd them to the backgrounds.

Once returned to me I added the sashings and quilted it and unfortunately after that it ended up against my pinning board for several months until yesterday evening.  Up to date with the Fiesta BOM I tackled this and can now officially mark the first UFO finish for this year off my list.

Completed:  12 June 2011

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Fiesta BOM – Block 6


Still sick and by now tired of being sick and the cortisone I have to inhale twice daily is not doing much to make me feel any better.  However I managed to put a huge pot of vegetable soup on the stove this morning and traced and cut these little tiny appliqué shapes in bed.

With the family fed; I got up to iron the shapes to the block 6 background and now I am up to date with this BOM by Fatcatpatterns.

Thursday, June 09, 2011

Fiesta BOM – Border Blocks

It has been a bitterly cold and unusual wet week in our dear central South Africa and to top it all I’ve been as sick as a dog, still left with not much of a voice; so what was a girl to do?

Just as the rest of the creatures in the house I found myself a cozy spot and started working on the appliqué border blocks of the Fiesta BOM by Fatcatpatterns

It took me what seems to be forever to trace and cut the heaps of tiny appliqué shapes in fact I ended up with dish-loads full of them.

Tonight however I ironed on the very last piece to have 14 identical border blocks done.  Okay, so all the shapes are only ironed down and I still need to stitch all of these but I figured it would be better to finish all the blocks first and then start the stitching as then I can do all the navy pieces whilst having navy thread on the machine and so forth.

Still rather chuffed with my accomplishment thus far.