Friday, May 19, 2023

Redoing the scattered glass backing

I quilted this in March of 2018, the quilter added a white sheet as a backing and she afterwards added a sleeve at the back to turn it into a duvet cover which she gifted to her kids.  The kids have however now decided to rather just want it as a quilt.  She then had to undo the sleeve, purchased a grey sheet and asked me just to stitch in the ditch around the blocks.

This went fast but I did not like the tread build-up as I’d already stitched around every block when I initially quilted it.

It was however quite interesting to look back at my quilting/skills from that time. I only had my longarm for 4 months and most quilt teachers will suggest you use the same colour thread on the top and bottom until you are comfortable with adjusting tension.  For this quilt, I used grey thread top and bottom and the grey thread on the white sheet, looked awful.  Luckily with the new backing, those will be hidden.

I also had no experience using the different modes on my machine and at that stage thought it would look better if I stitched all in regulated mode, keeping all the stitch lengths even.  Now after having done numerous online free motion courses, I know that when stitching edge to edge and more importantly any pebble, circle or loop, doing this in manual mode (unregulated) gives a much smoother finish.

But then these little unknowns are tiny compared to some of my other beginner quilts.  I recently had a quilt on a bed with what was supposed to be feathers but looking at it afterwards, it looked much more like trees.  So, we learn!



No comments:

Post a Comment