Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Tractor panel quilt number 1

I received 2 quilts made from the same panel and although very much alike there are some differences.  This one, the larger of the two, used 3 parts of the panel with 5 quilt blocks at the bottom.

As can be seen, plenty of detail was added and I can’t remember when last I was this nervous to quilt anything.  This quilter came to show me these some 3 months ago, already quilted by someone else and she was not happy.  She then undertook to unpick everything and wanted me to redo it.  Honestly, I could not see much wrong with the quilting and I said to her I don’t believe I can do any better.

There is this unwritten rule in longarm quilting: if you make a tiny mistake, just go on and if you finish the quilt and can still see or find your mistake, only then do you unpick and redo.

With this quilt, however, every tiny spot where I missed a ditch or a line felt like the end of the world and I was convinced it would be the first thing the quilter would notice.  I stuck to my unwritten rule and I could hardly spot mishaps afterwards.  So, if this quilter plans to scrutinise the quilting, she surely will find mistakes but seriously, then she should do it herself.  I did my best.

This picture shows some detail on and surrounding the tractor.



No comments:

Post a Comment