Wednesday, February 06, 2019

Cat panel quilt Completed

Looking at the timeline of my posts this little one kept me rather busy and apart from intermittently working on this, I have done nothing else quilt related. Used this one as an experimental quilt and had a couple of FIRSTS with it.

First time using Angela Walters’ Taj ruler, loved it and should experiment more with other design possibilities.


First time changing thread colours to suit the colours in the top.  Got some specks of thread colour on my plain backing but for my standards, it is just fine but at least I have something to show to warn future customers.


I tried my hand at YLI invisible thread to outline the cats and had no problems or adjustments that I had to make with my tension.


Also the first time I did a dense all over filler on the background of the blocks.


First time setting the timer and stitch counter on my machine and the timer turned out to be disheartening.  It only counts down the clock when the needle is moving and does not allow for thread colour changes, bobbin winding, tying and burying thread ends or advancing the quilt.  So after working on it for 5 days, my timer said something ridiculous like 4 hours.  I was so disappointed!

Contacted Patricia Heinrich Hechler from The Threadworks Company as she has once worked on a show quilt which took 450 hours and I wanted to know whether she spent a whole year behind the quilt.  She then gave me some positive news in that she takes her own timer along and sets it every time she works on a quilt and has worked out that with all else that needed to be done to finish a quilt one can easily multiply the time the machine timer gives with 4 to 6 depending on the density of the quilting and the amount of ruler work involved and I think this one qualifies for being multiplied by 6. I put it on the frame on 18 January and took it off to do the binding on 29 January and my timer says I’ve only worked a total of 8 hours 42 minutes and stitched 192 893 stitches.

I recently also read about a quilt Gina Perkes-Tidwell did as a show quilt for a customer and she had the quilt with her for 3 years.  Now that doesn’t necessarily mean she worked on it for 3 years but I don’t think I can do that.  After only 3 weeks I would change my mind and want to do something different.  Discipline and very good planning must be the key to success.

Used double batting for the first time and it was a struggle with that lumpy bulk on either side depending on which way I was rolling.  Hubby might have a fix to make the fabric roll smoother but we are first awaiting permission from the supplier before we start adjusting anything on my frame.
I don’t think I would however now (at least) be brave enough to do this for a customer.


I discovered a new ailment with my back stiffening up rather badly from standing behind the frame for long periods at a time. At least it is not painful but I am as stiff as a broomstick unable to sit or stand and I am just too much of a restless soul to lie on my bed the whole day long.  I will need to find some stretching exercises.


Didn't get around to do the stretches yet but at least saved the picture to my computer.

The back of the Cat Panel quilt


And finally the front


No comments:

Post a Comment